Medicare Rights and Protections
Medicare is committed to helping beneficiaries get the services they need, when they need it most. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services would like to announce the release of an electronic version of “Your Medicare Rights and Protections” that clearly outlines the key safeguards governing the original Medicare plan, Medicare Health plans and the Medicare Drug plans.
This booklet has information that beneficiaries and advocates need to know in order to file a complaint, appeal or identify where to go to get help with questions. It can be accessed here: http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/10112.pdf
This easy-to-understand publication outlines the basic Medicare rights, including to:
- Be treated with dignity and respect at all times.
- Be protected from discrimination.
- Get information about Medicare that you can understand to help you make healthcare decisions.
- Have your answers about the Medicare program answered.
- Get culturally competent services.
- Get emergency care when and where you need it.
- Learn about all of your treatment choices in clear language that you can understand.
- Ability to file a complaint.
- Ability to appeal a decision relating to your claims for benefits.
- Have your health information that Medicare collects about you kept private.
- Know your health information privacy rights.
Get questions answered 24/7 at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227) or TTY1-877-486-2048.